Monday, January 17, 2011

Letter to Cousin

Jackson Cozzens

*** North *** East

Logan UT, 84321

1/16/2011

Dear Riley,

How is married life? I hardly get to see you anymore so I decided to write you and let you know what’s going on. You remember that I am up at Utah State University. School has been great so far, it’s great being up here with my brother and sister. I want you to let me know how everything is going at UVU. I wish you guys would just come up here.

I remember that at our last family reunion you asked me about my major, and I didn’t have a very clear answer for you. The truth is, up until recently, I didn’t know what exactly went into being a public relations professional. Steve Reiher is one of my professors this semester, he said it is “the management function that identifies, establishes and maintains mutually beneficial relationships between and organization and its various publics on whom its success depends.” That is a pretty basic definition; I hope it helps you understand what I’m going to do as a profession.

Writing is a big part of public relations. I am in an awesome class right now that is going to help me hone my writing skills. A public relations representative would have to write a lot of professional business letters and press releases, so you can see why a writing class is so important. Ry, I hope we can hang out again soon.

Sincerely,

Jackson Cozzens

P.S.

Deet!

3 comments:

  1. Jackson, Good Job! I really enjoyed your letter. I like how you made it so personal, it sounds like a real letter to your cousin. The definition you used is great also, it's the same one I used. Good Job:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackson,

    You have a really efficient way to connect to your reader on a personal level. This is a very useful skill. Even though the letter is not addressed to me, I can feel the personal bond you have with the audience. You also describe how you are feeling very well. It puts the reader inside your head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jackson! I really enjoyed reading your letter. I liked how you put a quote from one of your professors in your letter. You obviously pay attention in class! I also liked how you mentioned what types of things pr professionals write about such as press releases. Good job!

    ReplyDelete